Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Bintulu Council Negeri Monument Neglected





Yesterday I picked up and interesting news item in the Borneo Post while having my morning tea at the corner coffee shop in front of the Bintulu express wharf.




From tomorrow onwards I will not be able to have my morning tea again in public for at least a month due to the fasting month of RAMADAN.




I will not like to dwell on the importance of maintaining public buildings and properties as indicated in the news cutting. More importantly today I took a drive to town to see the real situation.




To my surprise, a plate normally attached to the memorial stone went a missing as the picture shows.


Anyway, in the true spirit of this blog i.e. looking forward into the future of Bintulu, Pak Lah just said a few days ago (11/9/07) at a global conference in Singapore that " the focus for the next 50 years is on sectors that leverage on the two states natural resources, biodiversity and tourism assets" when referring to Sabah and Sarawak.



Tourism Angle




From this angle it is more appropriate if the authorities concerned preserve certain portions of the old airport land in its re-development master plan to include areas for a museum site to cover Bintulu's history especially its rich marine history and resources.. As a matter of thought, I am thinking that a replica of the Bintulu fort can be built at the proposed site. A history museum, a marine museum, a petro-chemical museum enclosed within a park-like setting will be a more cool place for tourists to see than the present trend of building two storey shophouses in unimaginative rows.


2 comments:

Boy_Vaie said...

that thing happened most probably by those who want to sell the plate as 'besi buruk'. such culprits.

"mun a' ulon vaie meveng vaie, sai ndey?"

Jasmin said...

Yeah..I agreed. I remembered during my childhood days...the surrounding was beautiful...green grass with huge building (seemed like a 'gudang'). If not mistaken there was a plaque on it.